Thursday, October 1, 2009

Migraines - The Bane of My Existence

First off, I'd like to say that I'm not a member of the medical community. You will not find this article full of medical lingo. I am however, a woman who has suffered from migraines for over 30 years.

Migraines, AAARGH! Everyone who has, or currently having migraines, just upon hearing the word, knows how debilitating they can be. The sensitivity to light, sound, smell, and the vomiting. They can also last for hours. Some people have migraines occasionally, while others, such as myself, have them constantly.

Migraines, according to the medical community, is caused by the sudden constricting and releasing of blood vessels. However, this is not always the case.

Migraines can be brought on by a number of things. Diet, food allergies, hormones, and even a faulty gallbladder. There is still research being done on the relationship between hormones, and migraines. I noticed my migraines had eased up a little when I entered menopause. Unfortunately, for my daughter, she too will suffer from migraines as they are genetic. What a legacy to pass on!

There are many medications to choose from for temporary relief. Over the years I've taken; Axert, Zomig, Maxalt, Fioricet, Topamax, Paxil, Cymbalta, Atenolol, and Toprol. There are 3 others, but I don't recall the names due to the fact, I only took them for 1 day. The only one that seems to work for my migraines is Maxalt. Make sure you to read or ask about side effects of any medications before taking them. This was something I learned the hard way, after taking a couple of the above listed prescriptions.

There is lots of information out there if you want to go the alternative health route. Herbs such as, Feverfew, and Valerian are worth checking out. Also, caffeine has been known to be of help. Do not drink too much, too often, as this may bring on migraines. I've read a couple of articles claiming sex relieves migraines as well. I think whoever wrote those articles, don't know what a migraine is. If your a migraine sufferer, my heart goes out to you. I hope, one day soon, they'll find a permanent cure.

1 comment: